Every year it’s the same thing - you tell yourself, your spouse and your neighbor that you’re going to get your lawn in tip-top condition – but you end up with a subpar showpiece. Drought, weeds and insects can quickly turn a healthy and vibrant lawn into one in need of resuscitation.
Here are five things that are ruining your lawn and five products to fix it.
- You’re picking the wrong seed. It’s hard to have a great lawn when you’re not starting with the best seed. Our Mayberry Grass Seed is made up of a centipede seed blend that is specially designed to stand up to the harshest southern climates. It has excellent heat tolerance and requires minimal maintenance.
- Crabgrass is faster than you. Once crabgrass is established, it’s a bear to remove. The key is to head it off at the pass. Crabgrass preventer should be the first thing you spread over your lawn in the spring. Compare N Save Crabgrass & Sandbur Preventer, containing Surflan®, is a selective pre-emergence surface-applied herbicide for control of annual grasses like crabgrass and sandburs, plus broadleaf weeds. Since it is a pre-emergent, it won’t affect existing crabgrass or weeds.
- Your lawn is more weed than grass. Just because most weeds are green, doesn’t mean they deserve a spot in your lawn. Compare N Save 2,4-D Amine Broadleaf Weed Killer can spot treat just the weeds, while leaving your healthy grass alone. It can kill or control dandelions, creeping jenny, poison ivy, plantain, chickweed and many others.
- Your lawn is a smorgasbord for insects. Grubs, cutworms, armyworms and aphids can all damage your lawn by dining on the roots and leaf systems of your grass. Compare N Save Lawn Insect Control Granules offers a one-step solution. It can control these insects, plus many others, for up to six months, including fire ants. Plus an 11-pound bag will treat up to 9,500 square feet.
- Your grass is growing great, but it’s growing EVERYWHERE. Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing. You’ve finally got your grass to grow, only to have it grow up through pavement cracks, mulch beds and flower and garden beds. Ragan & Massey’s RM18 is the answer. It provides, accurate spot control of grass and weeds, without damaging the soil underneath; the product is only active on the plant and deactivates once it touches the ground. Plus, it’s effective for up to six months.
Take a little time to prepare and maintain your lawn this spring and you’ll be rewarded with a lawn you’ll want to brag about. More information about all of these products, including how and when to apply, can be found on our website.